Learn to do Pranayam or Pranyama
Anulom vilom Pranayam or Alternative Nostril Breathing
Pranayam is a Sanskrit word which means breath to be controlled. ‘Pran’means breath and ‘Ayama’ means control. This pranayama is also called Nadi shodhan pranayama. The place where you are doing breathing exercise should be free from dust and should have fresh air.
Anulom vilom Pranayam can be done in two ways, for beginners it will be difficult to hold the breath. So initially no need to hold the breath.
First, you have to sit in any sitting position which would be comfortable for you.Bring your right hand in Vishnu Mudra i.e. fold the index finger and point the finger and close your right nostril with your right thumb and close your eyes and focus the space between your eyebrows that is your Ajna chakra or third eye. Inhale through the left nostril normally and close the left nostril. Then open the right nostril and exhale through the right nostril. Then you can inhale through the right nostril and close the right nostril and exhale through left.
The ratio can be 3:6 0r 4:8 (inhale: exhale) according to the capacity.ie 3 inhalations and 6 exhalations. This is the basic one.
In Sanskrit inhalation is called ‘Pooraka’, exhalation is called ‘Rechaka’and Kumbhaka is called retention of breath.
Once you practice the basic one for few weeks you will be able to hold your breath and you can go for the retention also. The ratio can be (4:16:8 or 3:12:6)4 inhalation,16 retentions and 8 exhalations.
How to do
Right hand in Vishnu Mudra, close your right nostril with the right thumb and inhale (count 1 to 4 mentally) close both nostrils ( count 1 to 16 mentally)open the right nostril and exhale (count 1 to 8 mentally).Then inhale through right nostril (count 1 to 4 mentally) close both nostrils ( count 1 to 16 mentally)open the left nostril and exhale (count 1 to 8 mentally. This is one round. You can increase the rounds according to your capacity.
- The three doshas of Vata, Kapha and Pitta are also regularised with regular practice of anulom vilom pranayama.
- Through this pranayama, both right and left brain get activated.
- Blood pressure and diabetes can be cured completely with the regular and dedicated practice of this Pranayam.
- Diseases of the muscular system are cured and are beneficial in arthritis, flatulence and varicose veins, acidity and sinusitis. ×
- Thinking becomes positive and you learn to overcome tension, anger, worry and forgetfulness, anxiety, uneasiness, high blood pressure, migraine and lack of sleep.
- Concentration, patience, resoluteness, decision-making ability and creativity also increase as advantages of anulom vilom pranayama.
- Increases oxygen supply throughout the body, making one feel calm and peaceful.
- Relieves stress, fever, eye concerns and ear issues.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Treats a migraine, blockages in the arteries of the heart and chronic sinus problems.
- Transforms negative thoughts to positive.
- Controls obesity.
- Streamlines metabolism.
- Treats conditions of constipation, gastric, acidity, allergic problems, asthma, gastric problems and snoring.
Article By Abhilash soman
My website is www.avadhutayoga.co.
Follow me on my face book page –
Yoga with Abhilash. https://www.facebook.com/Yoga-with-Abhilash-953306254684951.
Finediningindian Magazine previous issues
Submit Your Review